*Happy Anniversary to my mom and dad. I wrote this last year for their 45th anniversary*:
On March 16, 1968 my parents were married in Bangkok, Thailand.
Two kids and 45 years later they are still happily married.
Both have retired from great careers, but that doesn’t mean they have slowed down much.
They spend their time working with causes they believe in and also visiting their wonderful, handsome, and hilarious Grandsons. ūüôā
In a time where divorce rates are sky high, 45 years of marriage sounds foreign.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2012 the divorce rate of first marriage is around 50 percent; second marriages are at 60 to 67 percent and third marriages are at 73 to 74 pecent.
So, I asked my parents some secrets to a long lasting happy marriage.
How did you and dad meet?¬†We met in the Army Education Center office in Bangkok, Thailand.¬† My boss introduced us.¬† Your dad was a Captain in the Army and he supervised my boss who was a civilian.¬† I was the Educational Assistant.
What is your advice to newlyweds? ¬†To see the marriage as a sacred union of two souls that continue to grow so that the couple reach their full potential. Love and understanding of one another‚Äôs uniqueness¬† are crucial. Take the best care of yourself first, do your best to support your spouse and expect that life will encounter many challenges.¬† It‚Äôs important to work as a team with a shared vision and realize that people make the marriage.¬† If both persons are happy, you will have happy marriage.¬† Live your life to the fullest and do your best every day.
What is 1 thing you would like to do with dad that you haven’t done?¬†Take a long train trip to various cities with the destination to visit daughters and grandsons.
What is your favorite thing about dad?
1. ¬†The way that he is extremely loyal and devoted to family members and friends
2. ¬†The way that he loves to be a father and did his utmost in helping with child care.
3. ¬†The way that he shows that he cares about my well being.
4. ¬†The way he cares about his appearance and taking time to exercise, grooming himself, and dress.
5. ¬†The way he always use his skills and knowledge to help others, e.g. volunteering, continue working
6. ¬†The way that he is honest about his feelings, convictions, and way of life.
7. ¬†His management skills for family economic and business well being.
8. ¬†His ability to make quick decision and being firm with his commitment.
9. ¬†His ability to understand my point of view even when it‚Äôs contrary to his values, etc.
10. His perseverance about our relationship. He believes that all obstacles of our marriage life can be overcome.
(To my dad) What are your favorite things about mom?
- Probably too many to properly elaborate but first is her wonderful love for me and caring all the time.
- Has the best smile and is my beautiful black belt ‚Äď what a great and imspiring achievement.
- Has great intelligence and integrity and really cares about and helps peolpe all the time.
- She is the best friend and confidant.
- She always tries to do things that make me happy ‚Äď knows all my favorite foods and likes.
- She has great love and caring for family
- She is one of the most respected and sought out persons in our circle of friends and associates.
- Her love of Buddhism is shown in many ways including her compassion and tolerance for others ‚Äď never judgemental about others with different beliefs.
- Cant think of a better and more enjoyable person to spend my life with.
- The best of the best ‚Äď what more can I say.
My parents are proof that true love can endure and know no boundaries.
They’re from opposite sides of the world and come from different backgrounds and religion. They’re even significantly different height (dad is 6”2, mom is 4’11). But in the end their love and commitment prevailed.
¬†Happy 45th Wedding Anniversary to my parents!
¬†I couldn’t have asked for a better example of love, respect, integrity, and understanding.