We are all familiar with Hans Christian Andersen’s worldwide tale of The Ugly Duckling…a homely barnyard bird lives a life of ridicule and hardship then matures and blossoms into a beautiful swan. This fairytale ending comes to fruition for many young girls who went through that awkward stage of acne, braces, glasses, bad bangs, perms gone wrong, and hand me downs.
This classic ugly duckling journey sounds like the perfect Hollywood movie. Ironically, many beautiful leading ladies attribute their on screen success to learning the value of hard work as the result of being a late bloomer. Salma Hayek, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez, Eva Longoria, Charlize Theron, Victoria Beckham, and Beyonce all struggled with beauty issues and insecurities growing up.
The transformation process isn’t fun but the end result is worth it. The struggle helps a girl grow into a confident beautiful woman. At first thought the peppy cheerleader might seem like the best catch but here’s why you should date an ugly duckling:
1. She’ll have your back– When you’re down and out no one knows how to uplift you like an ugly duckling. She’s spent a lot of time overcoming obstacles. Having lived through alienation, ridicule, and bullying she knows the power of a kind gesture, positive attitude, and motivating words.
2. She’s humble– Sure, the ugly duck has blossomed into a beautiful dime, but is there anything more hot than a gorgeous woman who isn’t wrapped up in her looks? A late bloomer is comfortable in her skin. She can embrace her natural beauty. She’s not going to ask you a million times if she looks fat in her new dress- she either doesn’t care or is secure enough not to focus on imperfections.
3. She’s patient– An ugly duckling is connected to the world differently than the instant gratification gals. She can sustain the pressure to keep up with the Jones’. She will take her time making choices thus resulting in more sound and reasonable decisions. A patient woman can endure hard times and persevere through loss, disappointment, and adversity.
4. More than a pretty face– External beauty fades. A late bloomer has more to offer than just her looks. She’s cultivated interests outside of nail polish and reality tv. Not being a member of the beautiful ones has helped her to be socially alluring, self sufficient, witty, and adventurous. Her beauty might be what catches your eye but her incandescent spirit will keep you coming back.
5. She’s driven– Team Pretty may grow up and have great lives but many times their greatest years are behind them. Sometimes it’s hard for Ms. Popular to live up to her old Homecoming Queen glory days. While the Golden Girls have the looks for immediate attention, an ugly duckling had to work harder to open doors using diligence, creativity, and intellect as a key. Her drive will inspire you.
6. The best is yet to come– Little ugly duckie thrives as she ages. Since her looks haven’t been her gateway to success she handles aging well. She’s learned to flourish based on ability and character. As her physical beauty catches up with her internal strength she will continue to be an intimidating and confident force you’ll want by your side.
There’s nothing wrong with being beautiful, but everyone isn’t born a natural stunner. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However a woman who has learned to pave her way using non physical attributes will most likely possess a strong work ethic, solid virtues, indisputable confidence, and a kind heart. This is the swan you’ll want to take home to mama bird.